Friday, November 14, 2008

Fourteen Days of Thanks - Day 1

Several of the blogs I read are doing either daily or weekly posts about what they are thankful for. I thought since there are exactly 14 days until Thanksgiving (counting today) I would do mine for the next 2 weeks. My Fourteen Days of Thanks.

Day 1: I am thankful for being an American.

I know this is probably something 90% of Americans would say, so it may seem trite. But I don't think it is. In the great picture of the world, God chose to let me be born in America. Why? All I can say is it is part of his plan. When I look at what is going on in the rest of the world today, I can't help but think why me? Why here? Why do I get the privilege of enjoying living in a free nation. Not enslaved or living in fear of the government, but freely living my life - working, going from place to place, loving my family, enjoying my friends. I have a friend who was not born in America. Her family went through great persecution because of their religion. Some of them even died. The rest of them moved here to America - fearing for their lives if they had stayed where they were born. How many of us can say that? Not I. I know life in America is far from perfect, but we do have the freedom to believe in who we want to. That is a freedom we shouldn't take for granted.

We also enjoy many more freedoms here in America. Many we take for granted on a daily basis. Freedoms people - men & women - fought and died for. Many gave their lives so we can live peacefully here in America's borders. People will probably always argue whether they should have had to die to give us "freedom" or whether we were really fighting for "freedom" every time we went to war. I don't really think that is the main point. Everyone has their opinion and that is a freedom we are blessed with - thinking on our own, not being told what to think. As we approach Thanksgiving in a few weeks, take some time to think about the freedoms you are thankful for. Then thank God for giving you these freedoms. We are undeservedly blessed here in America.

No comments :