Thursday, May 22, 2008

Prayers for the Chapmans

Last night I sat down at the computer to check my blog reader before I went to bed. That is when I read about Steven Curtis Chapman's youngest daughter, Maria, who died yesterday in an accident at her home. You can read more about it and leave comments and condolences at www.stevencurtischapman.com.

Maria was the youngest of the 6 Chapman kids and youngest of their 3 adopted daughters. I can't imagine the grief and pain they are going through. I laid in bed last night praying for them, especially their son. He was driving the vehicle involved in the accident. I know God is in control of all of this. He has a plan and while he didn't cause the accident, he will hold this family together through it. It really made me stop and think that no one is immuned from bad things happening in their lives. And bad things happen to good people. Romans 8:28 says "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." It doesn't say he caused the accident, but he will work it out for their good.

That concept is hard to explain to an unbelieving world. I think about all the tragedies that have happened recently - the cyclone in Mynamar, the earthquake in China, Ted Kennedy's diagnosis of a brain tumor, now Maria's death. Tragedies happen all the time - we live in a fallen world. But in every tragedy, an opportunity for God to move is present. We just have to be willing.

Please keep the Chapman family in your prayers in the coming days and weeks. You may not ever meet them face to face, but we will meet someday in heaven. That is a promise we can hold to.

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.'" Revelation 21:1-4

No comments :