Sunday, May 23, 2010

3 weeks in and loving it...(Part 1)

Here's the post you probably have all been waiting for. The details about Avery's birth and her first 3 weeks of life.

Let me preface this that I may break up this post if it becomes way too long. Don't want to bore you!

So most of you saw my last post that I posted while in the hospital in labor. I didn't have a lot of time or focus, so I didn't elaborate on the details of what landed us in the hospital on Tuesday, May 4th. We woke up that morning not knowing that it would be THE day. I had actually just finished packing my bags the night before. The car seat wasn't in the car, we really thought we had another week at least. I had a doctor's appointment at 8:30. We got to the doctor's on time, but my doctor was stuck in traffic. So we waited. He ended up getting there around 9 and started checking everything out. I had thought I might have been having contractions for a day or so before but since it was my first, I really didn't know for sure. My blood pressure was really elevated when they checked it and it wasn't going down. After the doctor saw that and heard about me having contractions, he decided to send us to the hospital for monitoring. He wanted me to be monitored for an hour for my blood pressure and contractions. After the hour, they would make a decision about whether to keep us or send us home. I think we all thought we would get sent home, because my blood pressure does go down after I leave the doctor's office.

Well remember us not being ready? We actually came home, finished packing our bags, installed the car seat (just in case), and headed back up to the hospital. We got there about 11 and they hooked me up to the blood pressure and fetal monitors. I was supposed to lay still on my right side for an hour. Lots of fun! To me I couldn't tell if my contractions had any sort of consistency to them. Some were stronger than others, but my blood pressure was back down to normal so I thought we would probably get sent home. At the end of the hour, the nurse came in to check me before she could release me. I was at a 4. Did I forget to mention that at the doctor's I was at a 3?! So in the hour I had dilated another centimeter. Needless to say we didn't get to go home. They admitted me at 12 and we got settled into our room.

Once I got settled in and hooked up to all the monitors and iv's, we decided Randy should go get him some lunch since we didn't eat before we came to the hospital. We all thought that would be the best time, since labor probably would take a while and at that point I was probably the most comfortable that I would be throughout labor. So he left to get lunch and to run home for a shower (since we thought we might be up all night). They came in to check me a little after he left and I was at a 5. The doctor decided it was time to break my water to get things moving. I called Randy and let him know (he was surprised it was progressing that fast). The contractions immediately started to get stronger. Before breaking my water they hurt, but weren't long and more uncomfortable than anything. Randy got back to the hospital and by then (about 2:30 or so) the contractions were strong. The nurse offered me some IV drugs. I wasn't ready to get an epidural and honestly was trying to do without it if I could handle it. They gave me Staydoland wow! Talk about feeling loopy! The meds didn't make the pain of the contractions go away or any lesser, but I really didn't care. Randy says it was the closest thing to me being drunk. My parents arrived during this time and I remember thinking I really didn't care what was going on around me. Randy says he asked me if I was comfortable (because he said I looked uncomfortable) and I replied, "I don't know. Just sit down." So he did!

I don't really remember how fast things progressed after that point. I was pretty out of it for about an hour or so. Sometime around 3:30 the nurse came in to check me and I was at a 8/9. She said she would be back soon and would let the doctor know. Almost as soon as she left, I suddenly felt the urge to push. You know, everyone tells you that your body knows exactly what to do during labor and I can attest - it does! Kind of amazing to think God designed our bodies down to the minute details for everything to work just the way it is supposed to during labor. Randy sent my mom to get the nurse and she checked me again and I was ready! It was time to start pushing.

This is where I have to give props to Randy. He was great throughout this whole event. He stayed by my side the whole time (except when he went for lunch and I told him to sit down!) and helped me breathe through the contractions. He was great at helping me stay focused on breathing while pushing. A little after 4, the contractions were much stronger and it was time to call the doctor in. She arrived and started getting her scrubs on. The nurse kept telling me to not push until the doctor was ready. I told her, "I can't help it!" Randy laughed at that one. Apparently the doctor looked over at me, saw that Avery was ready to be born and finally kicked it in high gear. A few more pushes later and she was born! Our little blessing - Avery Marie - was here! All 6 lbs 5 oz and 19.5 inches of her. She had a head-full of black hair which we were all surprised at.

Stay tuned for part 2!

1 comment :

Monta said...

Ahhh! So happy for you and your new little fam! Enjoy!!!